A sliding miter saw is a specialized tool used in constructions to make cuts mostly on wood and other materials. It has the additional slide name because of its ability to hinge backward and forward giving more clear and precise cuts. It is simply a compound miter saw with sliding arms used for cutting different straight and angled cuts with better accuracy and precision. They can either be single or dual. A single sliding miter saw poses ability to tilt only on one side while a dual compound sliding miter can tilt on both sides. It has added features that simply have an edge over other types of miter saws. This tool comes in various brands, sizes and models.
Sliding miter saws poses features like:
- A Sliding feature that enables the forward and backward movement of the saw blade
- A laser guide that casts a shadow-like beam on the cutting material and surface, giving the worker a clear indication on where the cut is to be made in the work piece alignment.
- A blade guard; this is a blade cover that protects the sharp end of the saw blade teeth. Today, sliding miter saws come with blade guards that can retract easily. When the saw is lowered the blade retracts and comes back into cover position when it is raised.
- A dust bag which is an advanced feature that helps the users to collect saw dust away from the work piece while still working. These dust bags are usually connected directly to the saw, making the tool environmentally friendly.
- A safety clamp; some sliding miter saws are designed with safety clamps that help to lock and position the work piece firmly upon the working surface and the miter saw.
The sliding miter saw has its advantages as well as disadvantages. Below are the benefits of having a sliding miter saw as a work tool.
- Sliding miter saws are portable because of their design which includes a holding handle. It also has weight that that is quite comfortable for the user; not too light and not too heavy thus making it highly portable on and off the cutting process.
- They are easy to use and to set up. Sliding miter saws only require you to mount it on a stand or surface and then lower it on the work piece; simple. The ease of use is characterized by a handle that gives you a good firm grasp. It equally comes with user manual which makes it easy to practice and adapt.
- Accurate and precise; miter saws are meant and are bound to produce smooth, clean and clear cuts, therefore the accuracy and precision is a general characteristic across most miter saws. However, a distinguishing feature for the sliding miter saw is its ability to provide accurate cuts when positions are shifted. This means that you will be able to attain a high level of cutting precision when cutting any section of the wood.
- The main disadvantage of the sliding miter saw is the relative poor chip and dust removal because the saw blade is usually exposed too much during the cutting process.
- Owning to the additional sliding feature, sliding miter saws are relatively expensive compared to the other miter saws.
These disadvantages are very insignificant to give them some thought. Overall, the sliding miter saw has more benefits than most other types of miter saws. They are accurate, provide precise cuts and generally make woodcutting a great adventure.
They are the best tools to use when it comes to cutting wider materials. So, if you are looking for a very effective cutting tool, there are very few tools that can compete with sliding miter saws in terms of cutting accuracy and ease of use.
The other articles may you concern, as this is by:
- Best Sliding Miter Saw 2015
- Affordable Hitachi Sliding Miter Saw Reviews
- Sliding miter saw – choosing between the 10 inch and 12 inch model
- Safety Tips To Follow When Using The Sliding Miter Saw